In our former article entitled ‘Important fibres of technical textile industry – Part 1’ , we discussed about five fibres Polyethylene, Polyester, Nylon, Carbon and Polypropylene. In this article we would be covering other five major fibres of technical textile industry. The properties, application and leading manufacturers are also covered.
These fibres are listed below:
1. Glass fibre
2. Viscose fibre
3. Acrylic fibre
4. Protein fibre
5. Metal fibre
Glass fibre is obtained from the fine fibres of the glass. Fibre glass is formed from fine silica strands. Glass itself is a crystalline solid. Basically glass fibre is a polymer. The common properties of glass fibre are as follows.
* High strength * Non flammable * Relatively insensitive to moisture * Good electrical insulation * High production rates * Relatively low density * Good chemical resistance * Relatively low fatigue resistance * Good strength properties in various conditions * Relatively low density * Low modulus * Good electrical resistance * Low cost
Application of Glass fibre
* Reinforcement material in polymer matrix composites * Laminate structures can be used in storage tanks * Woven fabrics are used in production of surfboards, composite panels and other similar devices * Useful for good thermal insulation
Manufacturers of Glass fibre
* Saint-Gobain Vertex, s.r.o. * Nippon Electric Glass Trading Co., Ltd. * Central Glass Co., Ltd. * Texas Fiberglass Group * Snoma Science & Technology Co.,Ltd.
Viscose rayon is a cellulosic fibre, which is manufactured by regeneration. It is neither a synthetic fibre nor a natural fibre fully because it is obtained from naturally occurring polymers.
* Viscose has silk like feel and drape * It retains its colors * It has cellulosic base so it has many properties like cotton and natural cellulosic fibre * Moisture absorbent * Comfortable to wear * Breathable * Easily dyed in vivid colors * It does not build up static electricity * Moderate dry strength and abrasion resistance
Application of Viscose fibre
* Apparel uses like jackets, dresses etc. * Industry uses like tire cord * Medical surgery products * Furnishings like upholstery, bed spreads etc.
Copyright ? 2007